My little and I were feeling a little under the weather last night (he had a runny nose, my throat was sore), I thought it was a great opportunity to take a DETOX BATH!
Yes, even my 3 year old takes detox baths and let me tell you they are Ahhhhmazing!
A detox bath is a great way to naturally detoxify and flush out toxins! It’s good to do about once a week and especially when feeling ill. Here’s how to take a detox bath, kids too!
Here are the 4 ingredients you’ll need:
- Epsom Salt– When dissolved in warm water, it absorbs through the skin and replenishes our levels of magnesium which helps our body’s de-stress, eases pain, and most importantly eliminate toxins from our body.
- Baking Soda – It neutralizes the chlorine in the bath water, which is important because your pores will be open and you don’t want to soak that in. It also detoxes and alkalizes your body naturally. I love how it makes the water feel silky, bonus 🙂
- Essential Oils– Essential oils have many health benefits and the heat of the water helps the oils absorb into your body through the skin and inhalation. Last night I used ‘Peace & Calming’, but Lavender or chamomile would be nice too!
- Coconut Oil– Because it makes the skin feel ‘oh so soft’ and no need for additional moisturizer when you get out!
- Start running the bath water, make it very warm, I like it HOT, but don’t burn yourself (common sense).
- Take 1 cup of Epsom salt and add 8 drops of essential oil to the salt (this helps the oil distribute better in the water). Dump in water.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda to water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to water.
- Mix around with your hand and get in.
- Soak for at least 20 minutes as submerged as possible.
- Get out slowly.
- *Optional* Rinse off in a cool shower to remove any leftover toxins on the skin.
*IF DOING THIS FOR YOUR CHILD, HALF THE AMOUNTS above!*
Important things to remember:
-Shut the lights off and light a few candles to help you relax! Bright bathroom lighting doesn’t equal tranquility (common sense when using candles around kids) I put the candles up on the counter when the kids bathe! Hey, they like to relax too!
-Don’t use any soaps or lotions on your body while in or after the detox bath.
-When rinsing off try to use cool water and no soap is necessary.
-Adjust the amount of essential oils to your liking; 8 drops may be too strong for some. Remember to ONLY use therapeutic grade oils, like Young Living. If you don’t have essential oils yet, that’s ok, use the other ingredients!
-Drink a large glass of water during and afterwards (detox baths make you thirsty and can dehydrate you)!
-Rest, you will be sleepy after your bath.
If you have any questions about this, as always, contact me or leave a comment!
Health and love to you,
(The information in this blog is not a substitute for professional medical care. If you suspect you have a condition that could prevent you from taking a detox bath, please consult with your doctor first.)